Search This Blog

2.17.2011

Kitten Season

For most people, spring means this:

Or this:

Or this:

But for me, spring means this:


Disgusting.
Before I started working here I was like most people who come in looking for a kitten during the winter and are told "we're out". I go "que?" and they say "what?" and I go "what?" and after some comical Abbott and Costello type confusion they explain that it's not "kitten season."

Well, what the heck is kitten season? Perhaps you've heard of springtime as being the time of birth and new life. That's true for cats too. Depending on the winter weather and how warm the spring is, kitten season can generally start from March to May and generally goes until September to October. This year, however, it starts now.

I can't see and I can't walk, but I'm coming!
That's right. Because of the mild winter here and spring starting basically last week, kittens, newborns and pregnant moms are coming out the wazoo right now. Having the benefit of already working through one kitten season makes me tons better prepared for this year, but it's still daunting to think that March is already early for kittens and they're coming a month earlier than that! On the upside- I love what I do and every kitten the foster program saves warms my heart. On the downside, this means we have less room for kittens on the whole, as already during the summer months we have to take only from county shelters and only as I have room in my foster homes.

But we'll keep plugging along and taking in all we can just like last year. In fact, now that I'm not as much of an incompetent fool, hopefully things will go much smoother this season.

If you want to become a foster parent or know someone who does, please go to the CAT website and fill out a volunteer application. And just in case you're wavering on volunteering, here's this:

Resistance is futile.

Spring Pictures found on Google.
Kitten pictures taken by foster parents and me.
Seal Point Himalayan picture taken by Madeleine Barker.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

I agree, for those who are wavering, resistence is futile!